Saturday 13 October 2018

Review: Crimes Against Magic by Steve McHugh



Crimes Against Magic by Steve McHugh
Hellequin Chronicles #1

Publishing Date: April 27th, 2012

My Rating: 2/5 - okay world-building with a surprising amount of violence and a Gary Stu MC

On Goodreads




I don't know why I expected something tame when I started reading this book. I guess I read "Urban Fantasy" on Goodreads and jumped to the conclusion that this was YA or NA. Just to make that clear: this is very much an adult fantasy book. The depictions of violence alone make sure of that.



"I was disturbed by how I'd felt during the fighting. Or at least I felt like I should have been disturbed. My concern was that it didn't really bother me at all."

Oh, I was bothered enough for both of us, Nate. No worries. Turns out, if most of what you read is YA, this book is kind of... violent. My lack of mental preparation is not the book's fault though, that's mine.

I will, however, fault the book for the amount of info-dumping. Maybe I'm particularly nitpicky about that, but by the end of the book, I was getting seriously annoyed at the number of times we got whole paragraphs of information set in front of us.

"It's easier if I explain everything."

Ugh, that's all they ever do.

Now, the info-dumping may improve in the next book. Since this is the first part in a series, the world-building had to happen - by which I mean, every fantasy creature ever had to be dumped into this, in addition to some mythology. Doing that without dumping the information on the reader would be difficult. (But did there have to be an info dump in the middle of a fight scene?) So we'll have to wait and see if that gets any better - or we would if I continued this series. Yes, this is another one that I'm dropping after the first book. With how well this one wrapped up the story, I don't care enough to continue.

Mainly because, besides the info-dumping, I did have other issues with the book. The fact that the main character is seemingly all-powerful, has to save every woman he interacts with throughout the book at some point, and every eligible woman who meets him falls over herself to sleep with him? Ugh, come on.

"The memory of being shot by a woman pretty much kills any sexual urge you have toward her. And if it doesn't, you have issues. [...] OK apparently I have issues."

Don't worry Nate, it's not just you. It's the whole book.

Aside from that, the fact that the book jumps between past and future? I dislike time jumps at the best of times. These ones seemed to be without rhyme or reason. One chapter here, two chapters there, whatever. Besides being simply annoying, they also pulled me out of the action each time.

There are some brilliant quips in the book though, I'll give it that.

"I live underground, and you've never seen me outside. I'm pale in complexion and obviously hundreds of years old. What did you think I was? Agoraphobic?"

...Still not enough to continue reading, though. Considering this was a 4.02 stars book on Goodreads, I'm beginning to think I expect too much of my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment